I’m wondering when the other shoe is going to drop. I haven’t received the second set of proofs. I sent them back to the publisher on March 20, 2017. I’m in a partnership with my publisher and suspect that my work is on hold until the final invoice is reconciled. I wait with my ducks in a row in a stalemate on the checker board waiting to say ‘king me.’ This is like a dog on a leash in a dog park; straining the arm of one while trying to get at the other.
In the meantime, I’m researching, writing, reading, and trying to stay current with my media outlets. I have plans but unfortunately cannot do a thing until a date is set for the launch of my book The Summer Palace. I have been making connections in my community with local authors, book clubs, and attending meetings. The third novel in The Summer Palace series now has an ending, the scenes have been gone over, and scrutinized. I found timeline problems, changed my mind about a few characters, and I’m doing research. I’m also considering a fourth book for the series. That is a battle in itself. The decision, in the beginning, to go from a short story to a novel was easy. The second book in the series The White Towers (not a definite title) was a no-brainer, either was the third book, Kende Castle (not a definite title) for that matter. I’m struggling with a fourth. I need to find the catalyst that seemed to come forth for the others quite automatically.
I have an epic fantasy saga in the works (Woven In Time). It is more in line with my other book Places You Will Be From and I’m not sure if a genre change would be the best course of action from here. I do have The Tea Room in the wings along with The White Towers to present to the publisher as soon as The Summer Palace hits the book shelves.
I’m now looking at a mid to late June launch. The delay is putting my life on hold I’m literally in the dog park looking for a space under the fence big enough to get my big carcass through—it’s going to take a little more digging.
I’ve been reading a great series The Serpent Sword by Matthew Harffy. I started the third book Blood and Blade and I’m reading it ravenously. It’s 7th Century Brittan, dark, graphic, but well written and narrated (an audio book). I highly recommend these books if you are a fan of Historical Fiction. The protagonist Beobrand is a troubled, reluctant, and likable hero. I recently found out that there is a fourth book to be released this summer, so if you start now perhaps you’ll be ready for the fourth when it comes out (I love when that happens).
My take on this entire process? Feast or famine. The long wait for the first set of proofs and the frantic days that followed ended in another span of wait-lessness. An author that writes a book, manages to get it published, and ready to take on the challenge of marketing is not faint of heart. It takes aggressive action, self-confidence, and persistence. So, the waiting and inability to take the bull by the horns is a balloon-deflating experience. Thereby, if you don’t channel your creative fire hose elsewhere during these times, well I can’t imagine the outcome. For me, rabid refocusing was an alternative. Again, this is my experience and perhaps this is not the way it will be for someone else that takes on a partnership with a publisher. I’m told as soon as I get the second set of proofs, review, and return them I will be contacted by the marketing team and my book will be printed within the month. Everything I have read says to be prepared. Therefore, have that hole under the dog park fence dug and make sure your collar doesn’t get caught on those little prongy things.